Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mini Blog

originally posted on 5/12/07

Kate was right, I want to talk about geography.

How big is Seoul? 10 mil city, 23 mil metro. Big. The city proper has more people than Kansas, Missouri, and Mebraska combined. The metro area has more people than the old Big 8 zone (the 3 mentioned states, Iowa, Oklahoma, and Colorado) or more than Texas, whichever stat impresses you more. The city proper has more people than the Chicago metro area, or the cities proper of New York or Los Angeles. The metro area is the second largest in the world, after Tokyo. My district of the city, Nowon-gu, has 600,000 people, more than the cities proper of Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas combined. Yet, of Seoul's 10 million denizens, maybe 100,000 people (1% of the population) aren't Korean. I'm a foreigner in the most homogeneous country in the world, though I knew that coming in. I have no larger point here, I'm just not sure if I'd mentioned this before.

I'm quasi-seeing a girl here now. I'll have more on this later, but i wouldn't be surprised if this "relationship" doesn't make it out of next week. She's actually here right now (which makes this my first "live" blog since the Itaewon web cafe back in October), passed out in my apartment. Not like that, yo. I met up with her at 9 p.m. tonight, but she was already smashed. She drinks too much. Consider the source there. This is one black kettle. I've hung out with her several times this week, and I know next to nothing about her. Language barrier, sure, but even beyond that. I have much more I want to write here, but it will be another time. If there is a future blog about this (likely) then we all have to agree that this one never happened, and treat it like a fresh story without the spoilers that this blog provides.

Life is strange. I'm going to fucking sleep. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment