Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rock Star

originally posted on 7/14/07

You know, I appreciate the response to the last blog, the "you rock" stuff. to which I can only reply, as I so often do, with a Simpsons line. In the famed New York episode, Bart sees a group of Hasidic Jews, and mistakes them for ZZ Topp. Bart yells "You rock!" to which one of the Hasids says, "Eh, maybe a little."

Here's the thing - I actually sort of rock. And I don't know why. The easy presumption would be race/ethnicity/nationality, but that's not it. For example, at the Spy Bar, sometimes they charge a cover. I never pay it. In fact, I only know of it through stories. For whatever reason, the door guy likes the cut of my jib. Last week, I went there with a (American) buddy of mine and two Korean girls we met at the bar before. Not only did I get in for free, but so did the girl I walked in with. Conversely, my buddy had to pay the cover, both for himself and the girl he walked in with.

That's Itaewon. Local bars are another thing. I've spoken of Dragon Bar many a time in this space, but one funny thing I learned talking to some whiteys in my hood the other day is Dragon's tab policy. In that, the whiteys were saying they liked the new, post fire dragon better because now the dragon allows tabs instead of cash on delivery of each drink. Seemed strange to me, as I'd been running tabs there since January or so.

Really, the ultimate "rock star feeling" is Noblock, which I've also mentioned previously. I walk in there now, including tonight at 2:30 a.m., and the bar stops. Several bartenders will yell "Jae Hak!" (obviously, my self-given Korean name). A couple of them will even go with "Jae Hak -ah!" which is a Korean term of endearment. the adding of the "ah" to the end of your name, I mean. It's come to the point where laying low at Noblock is impossible. Every time I go in, the bartenders I know make such a commotion about my entrance that everyone else at the bar wants to talk to me. I'm not sure how else to describe it. If I were to secretly buy a flight home tomorrow and show up at Louise's or the Replay or the Holiday unannounced 2 days from now, I'd be greeted much less excitedly than if I were to show up at Noblock next Friday, as I do pretty much every Friday.

Anyway, I know my last few stories have had a bit of a high horse feel, but trust me, that couldn't be further from the truth. As per usual, I'm not happy (and I don't mean I'm not happy here, I just mean I'm not happy, but you knew that) and I already have something new to post that, in it's better moments, I feel is the best thing I've written in some time. So, check it out. Also, keep in mind, lots of the next entry will suck as well, but stick with it, as there are some good parts, and probably some inside jokes that you (and I mean you) will get more than anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment